Sunday, March 25, 2007

Fun with characters!




I know I posted about "making characters unique" before and how I'm always trying to push that as much as possible. One of my favorite things about Alex Toth is how he would have such exaggerated characters without crossing the line into "cartoon". They always held up to realism even when he pushed things. I'm always trying to find that middle ground. Here are some soldier characters from BPRD. I tried to give each one a distinct look and hopefully a distinct personality when it comes to the pages. Also heres a Prof. Bruttenholm with a hat. I've never seen Mignola draw him with a hat but I think it fits him and Im gonna throw it in where I can (Yes.. these are the silly things that I occupy my mind with).


P.

3 comments:

Gabe said...

that last drawing is absolutely beutiful. Totally getting the Toth vibe from your work. Can't wait for this book.

Seth said...

I couldn't agree more about Toth. And you've managed the same stylistic quality of keeping things loose enough to have energy and unique enough to have character.
Worrying about whether someone should wear a hat shows attention to the character. These just sold me on the book.

Rae said...

Love the last drawing--Bruttenholm, particularly young Bruttenholm, looks really right in a hat.